March 18, 2009

News from Wales by Popo

Hello everybody!
I hope everything is fine with you!
I have just moved last weekend from Carmarthen to Llangadog because I have to work in another school now. A teacher assistant has found a flat for me. It is a beautiful flat and not so expensive but I’m alone there. And I don’t have internet. I felt well in my students’ accommodation in Carmarthen because I shared it with 8 other students. I was in contact with them all the time. It was great. I’m really disappointed to have to change.

For my last day at school, the teachers and pupils prepared me a surprise. Some children came next to me and told me something in French. I got lots of cards from them and even a necklace and earrings. Some children were crying. It was too sad and beautiful at the same time.

Here in Llangadog, it is really the countryside. There is nothing. Only two small shops but you can’t find good things to eat. :S. The school is at half an hour on foot but the assistant can bring me to school with the car
As I have just said, I don’t have the internet in my flat. That is a big difficulty for me because I need to keep in touch with people who are important for me and moreover, I need it to make some research for my work.

It has been my second day in my second school today.
I go to school every day, which is ok for me. I have given many lessons in my first school: about Belgian culture and about the language itself and I like that very much because pupils are really motivated and want to learn my language.
It was more or less what I expected to experience but I thought they wouldn’t be as opened as they are. For example, I showed them a powerpoint about Belgium and the teacher decided that the pupils would make a powerpoint about Wales. It will require much work in the classroom. I won’t even be able to participate because I’m not in the school anymore. I’m too sad!
What’s sometimes difficult for me is that they speak Welsh a lot. For most pupils, Welsh is their native language. For example, I went with the small children to visit a museum and the explanations were in Welsh. That is a shame for me!

But it was easy for me to build a relationship with the children. I could feel they liked me and that’s important for me. They were very happy when I gave them lessons. Even at midday, I ate with them.
Moreover, it’s not as difficult as in Belgium to give lessons because they don’t know French at all, so I feel more self- confident.

.I didn’t know they would be so creative. Here in Wales, nearly everything is based on creativity. Moreover, they are very active because they participate to many kinds of festivals. For the festivals, it is an opportunity for them to sing and dance. I thought the activities would be more like in Belgium (sitting the whole day and write a lot) but not at all. That was enjoyable for me. That’s why I have taught them some songs too.
I have taught them several useful topics like introducing themselves completely, the weather, the animals, the holidays, the days of the week, the months, the school, etc.
Of course, I didn’t expect them to be able to follow a conversation but to have basic notions of usual topics.
I expect the same in the second school.

But it is frustring for me to have 2 schools because I would like the pupils in Bancyfelin to learn more French. Moreover, I felt very good in that school. I began to be really at ease and to know everybody and I have to change and to begin everything again. My relationship with people there in the school (with the pupils and the staff) and in the student accommodation had evolved because I saw them every day. During playtime at school, I never stayed alone. I spoke with the children or with the staff about whatever.
What is a shame too is that I will have to give the same lessons. That’s a bit boring!

So, now, I feel very disappointed and frustrated about the change but I hope I will have a good time in that school too and anyway, my objective is to teach them something and never been forgotten. ;)

No comments: