April 22, 2009

News from Brussels,


Hello !

After the Eastern break it's time for me to go back at school ........ but good news not as a student but as a teacher ..... time for training! This is my last training (20 - 30/4) !!!!

By the way, I have to speak about "culture clash" ......well I'm a little bit embarrassed because there isn't really one. The Flemish students in Brussels are the same as the French speaking students in Brussels. Of course there are some differences but I can't speak about a real "culture clash". What I can say is that they are not as "stressed" as we are. When they have something to do, they do it without any complaint or groan. They never prepare something in advance, they wait and at a given moment they start and nothing can stop them. I can compare them to a diesel motor, hard to start but very tough afterwards! When Steve and I say that we should start preparing the work we have to do, they always say: -"Not yet, it's too early, no hurry!"; this is quite destabilizing for us. Another thing is that they are found of the computer. They can't work without it .... and so are the teachers too. The teachers never use the "common blackboard"; they prepare their lessons with Powerpoint . The most of the students have no notebook, they bring their laptop in the classroom and type everything on it. When the students have to present something they do it like professionals; they use special effects, music, ...... and they don't hesitate to film scenes like in a real movie where they are acting to explain something. When they are doing something they do it well!
Another difference is the distance they have to cover to come at school. The most of the students are coming from Flanders and have to take the bike and the train to come to Brussels. At the ISPG the students who are coming from far away have a place to stay in Brussels for the week. The Flamish students return every day at home (sometimes 90 km from Brussels!) ... but it's normal for them!

That's the end of my "Flemish culture clash" in Brussels. I can't imagine that most of you will already be back in 2 little weeks time! I hope you will enjoy your last days far from home.
I send you big kisses from the sunny Belgium (no ... it's not a joke the weather is really amazing in Brussels .... miracle ..... miracle ..... miracle!)

See you soon,

Anne-Marie

No comments: